Sunday 2 June 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 235

I have reached a stage in my life where I am wondering how my life will pan out - I now don't have the naïve security of being young but also don't have the wisdom and experience of many years.
I have found myself re-reading Persuasion as I suppose I feel a personal relevance at the moment and perhaps subconsciously I am striving for my own Frederick Wentworth but not sure where to find him!

This quote is taken from the early part of chapter 1 and is talking about Elizabeth Elliot, the elder sister of Anne - now although I have selected this quote it is not because I see myself as anything like Elizabeth nor in a conflict with my religious views. Overall I regard Elizabeth as rather selfish, it is just that these words stood out for me and if I am honest I suppose some of the feelings were familiar.

"she had the consciousness of being nine-and-twenty, to give her some regrets and some apprehensions. She was fully satisfied of being still quite handsome as ever; but she felt her approach to the years of danger, and would have rejoiced to be certain of being properly solicited by baronet-blood within the next twelve-month or two. Then might she again take up the book of books with as much enjoyment as in her early youth; but now she liked it not. Always to be presented with the date of her own birth and see no marriage follow but that of a younger sister, made the book an evil; and more than once, when her father had left it open on the table near her, had she closed it, with averted eyes, and pushed it away."

I chose to be like Anne, in search of something special yet remaining independent and passionate.



Pic: Persuasion

4 comments:

Linda Fern said...

"I chose to be like Anne, in search of something special yet remaining independent and passionate."

Well said, dear Rachel. I hardily agree. May you be blessed as Anne was blessed.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

chinese painting said...

I just start my reading recently, and it did really fulfill my spare time and i have learned a lot! good for reading!!!

Rachel said...

Thanks Chinese painting for your comment. Where are you writing from? Happy reading!

wholesale soccer Jersey said...

I just start my reading recently, and it did really fulfill my spare time and i have learned a lot! good for reading!