Monday 8 April 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 228

We haven't done Mansfield Park for a while, so I thought of pulling something from MP. I found this one below, and although I wasn't melancholic or particularly sad today (I'm a bit upbeat, actually), this quote actually can speak volume when the condition is right. Mansfield Park, chapter 46, quoted from Pemberley.com:


"There is nothing like employment, active indispensable employment, for relieving sorrow. Employment, even melancholy, may dispel melancholy."
Frances O'Connor as Fanny Price (MP 1999)

It can be true, but we must take it with a grain of salt. Too often, we modern people drown ourselves in employment, or our career, to ignore something that is not balance in our lives. It should not be like that, I think. I think Jane's quote below is good for temporary distraction. But when the sorrow is already too deep, I think one must go deep within to deal with the feeling, instead of ignoring it and turning to our career for a refuge.

Thoughts?

No comments: