Sunday 3 February 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the week 221


This week I have chosen the quote from Chapter 22 of Northanger Abbey:
“But now you love a hyacinth. So much the better. You have gained a new source of enjoyment, and it is well to have as many holds upon happiness as possible. Besides, a taste for flowers is always desirable in your sex, as a means of getting you out of doors, and tempting you to more frequent exercise than you would otherwise take. And though the love of a hyacinth may be rather domestic, who can tell, the sentiment once raised, but you may in time come to love a rose?”


I was having a conversation this week about what exactly makes me happy and defining happiness as a concept. It is entirely individualised and we cannot judge anyone on their desires. It made me think of the highlighted quote above as I think it is so important to take happiness whenever it is available!
But what is happiness? I read somewhere that it is having the strength to confront your own weaknesses. It can't exist in the past or future but can only be felt in the present, so I hope you all find comfort in this quote.



Pic: http://www.kiagarriques.com/a-good-support-system-is-the-foundation-for-success/happiness-kia/

No comments: