Sunday 29 January 2012

Tom Lefroy Quote Week 15

I wanted to find a Tom quote that would reflect the birthday of our lovely Linda, who will be 71 years old tomorrow Monday. From the Memoir of Chief Justice Lefroy page 329, an excerpt from Lord Derby (Prime Minister Edward Smith-Stanley, the 14th Earl of Derby) to Chief Justice Lefroy:

Downing Street,

July 11, 1866
“My dear Chief Justice, - Your son sent me, a few days ago, a most kind letter from you, the handwriting of which I should have taken to be that of a man of thirty instead of ninety, in which you express your readiness to surrender into my hands the high office which I had the satisfaction of intrusting to you fourteen years ago, and which you have filled with so much credit to yourself and advantage to the public service.”

That’s what I often feel when I communicate with Linda… Not exactly 30-90, but I often forgot that she is already 70 years old, and going to be 71 years old tomorrow. Linda still has her sharp mind and alert consciousness, something to be admired from people of her age.

Thank you for helping us these years, Linda. Have a happy birthday, may you be happy, healthy and prosperous always. God bless you.

Pic: Edward Smith-Stanley, Wikipedia


3 comments:

Linda Fern said...

Awww, geez, dear Icha, that is so sweet. Thank you! I really don't feel so old because in my mind I still think I am 16.

I guess Tom was himself getting on in years when you count up the years. They pass by so fast these days.

I have certainly enjoyed knowing all you dear Ladies and researching Tom and Jane. It keeps me sharp.

Love from
Linda the Librarian

Rachel said...

What a great line, I have missed that before. Yes I also wish Linda a very happy birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day off from teaching your grandchildren x

Icha said...

Thanks a lot Ladies. Rachel, it was pure luck of me finding that quote. I opened a page at random, and I found it. Rather, it found me ^_^