Sunday 20 March 2011

Tom Lefroy Quote Week 7

Since it seems to be the season for birthdays, I thought a quote from our own Tom Lefroy in “The Memoir of Chief Justice Lefroy” about his ninetieth birthday might be appropriate to celebrate Icha’s birthday today even though I am fairly certain that she is not 90.

Leeson Street, Jan. 9th, 1866

My Dearest Jeffry, - I have just received the congratulations of yourself, and your dear companions on God’s wonderful mercy in permitting me to see the ninetieth anniversary of my birth-day. It fills my heart with joy and thankfulness of no ordinary degree, when I find those I love ascribing praise for all our family mercies, to Him to whom all praise is due. I think I cannot do better in return than pray that the blessing which old Jacob gave to his loved son Joseph, may rest on my dear Jeffry, and his no less dear wife, who may well claim to be “a fruitful bough, and even a fruitful bough by a well.”


“May the God of thy fathers keep thee, may He bless thee with the blessings of heaven above, and bless thy progeny to the utmost bounds of the Everlasting Hills.” With fondest love from all the dear ones around me to you and yours, T.L.

I have to say that I admire his Godly expressions. They remind me of what I want to believe he discovered from our dear Jane at their ‘encounters’ at the dances. My beliefs are based on his notes at the beginning of the Memoir which I have quoted before. I especially want to wish our Icha the same blessing: “May the God of thy fathers keep thee, may He bless thee with the blessings of heaven above, and bless thy progeny to the utmost bounds of the Everlasting Hills.”

Happy Birthday, dear Icha from Team Jane. And I send Love from Linda the Librarian

Pic: Community live journal

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Icha!!
Thanks for a great quote Linda.

jakeline said...

Happy birthday Icha!

The quote was awesome Linda!

hugs and kisses from Maria in Sweden

Miss Laurie said...

This is such a beautiful quote! His faith seems to have really sustained him throughout his life!

Happy Birthday Icha! :)

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Icha said...

HAHAHA!!! I can safely say that I'm not yet 90 years old, Linda, tho I'm not sure either that I would live up to Tom Lefroy's record!

Thanks to Linda for the great quote, Rachel for posting it (my turn for Linda's next quote!), and Maria and Miss Laurie for the birthday wishes!

My wish for the birthday had been that the nuclear crisis in Japan is solved for the better and the victims are well-nourished, have plenty of food and water and warm clothes and SAR works well. Yesterday and today I learned that they pulled out a person from the rubble after 8 days (!) and a grandma and a teenager after 9 days (!!). So I guess my prayers were partially granted; so I'm grateful for that....